Ted Laperouse serves as the Firm’s Managing Shareholder.
For more than twenty years, Ted’s law practice has been primarily focused on construction litigation and commercial law, and he routinely handles litigation, transactional and contract matters in these areas on behalf of his clients. Ted also serves as a mediator in the field of construction law.
Ted currently serves as general counsel and a member of the Board of Directors for the Greater Baton Rouge Chapter of the American Subcontractors Association. He is the Immediate Past President of the South Central Louisiana Chapter of the Construction Financial Managers Association (CFMA). Ted also serves on the Steering Committee for Division 9 of the American Bar Association Forum on the Construction Industry and serves on both the Technology and Membership Committees of the ABA Forum.
Ted has been a featured speaker at the Construction SuperConference, which is recognized as the preeminent construction conference with presentations and seminars from top legal, consulting, and leaders of construction companies. Ted also routinely speaks on the topic of Construction Law for various trade associations and professional organizations.
Prior to founding LAPEROUSE, APLC in 2018, Ted was a partner with Taylor Porter Brooks & Phillips in Baton Rouge, Louisiana for 14 years, and, prior to that, practiced law in Dallas, Texas, for an “Am Law 200” law firm.
Ted’s training and experience also include:
- Representing and advising clients involved in the commercial, industrial, and residential construction industries, including owners, developers, contractors, homebuilders, subcontractors, engineers, architects, material suppliers, and manufacturers.
- Handling all facets of litigation, arbitration and mediation, involving construction and commercial claims, including, but not limited to, those involving breaches of contract, construction and design defects, project delays and inefficiencies, indemnity, mechanic’s liens and bonds, public bid disputes, OSHA citations, and job site negligence.
- Serving as “first-chair” in some of the most notorious construction cases in Louisiana in the last two decades.
- Drafting and negotiating both design and construction contracts for many marquis projects in Louisiana.
- Drafting and negotiating contracts, non-compete agreements, purchase and sales agreements, lease agreements, loan agreements and promissory notes, and handling litigation involving such matters.
- Serving as general counsel and registered agent for several clients.
- Serving as a mediator in the field of construction law.
Ted is admitted to practice before all state courts in Texas and Louisiana, as well before the United States District Courts for the Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of Louisiana, and the Northern and Southern Districts of Texas.
Ted is a graduate of Loyola University School of Law in New Orleans, Louisiana, where he served as Governor of the 13th Circuit for the American Bar Association-Law Student Division. Before attending law school, he received his B.A. in journalism from Southern Methodist University in Dallas, Texas. He and his family are parishioners of St. Aloysius Catholic Church in Baton Rouge.
RECENT NOTABLE LITIGATION MATTERS
- Co-lead counsel for the State of Louisiana, Division of Administration in a $100M consolidated lawsuit brought by the contractor and subcontractors for alleged delays, inefficiencies and extra work involving a state hospital in New Orleans;
- Lead counsel for national highway contractor involving class action lawsuit for alleged damages caused by the design and construction of the Interstate-12 expansion project known as the “Geaux Wider” project;
- Lead counsel for a large commercial subcontractor in a multimillion-dollar lawsuit and arbitration proceedings involving construction and design defects in one of the largest multi-family construction projects in Baton Rouge;
- Lead counsel for a large commercial electrical contractor in claims for construction defects involving the LUS Fiber to the Home project in Lafayette, Louisiana;
- Lead local counsel for the general contractor involved in a multimillion-dollar dispute involving the construction of a premier Mixed-Use Development in Baton Rouge;
- Lead counsel for several large subcontractors involved in claims for nonpayment against the contractor involving a large Mixed-Use Development project in Baton Rouge;
- Lead local counsel for the LSU Museum of Art involving claims of construction and design defects;
- Counsel for the largest homebuilder in the United States in the Chinese Drywall Multi-District Litigation in United States District Court;
- Lead counsel for the Owner in a multimillion-dollar damage dispute against the second largest termite company in the United States;
- Lead counsel for a subcontractor claimant on a multimillion-dollar dispute involving the Baton Rouge Magnet High School Project in Baton Rouge;
- Lead counsel for the successful party in a multimillion-dollar public bid dispute;
- Counsel for the Owner arising out of construction defects to a resort facility in Sabine Parish, Louisiana, and culminating in a settlement providing funds for extensive remodel and repair to the facility;
- Lead counsel for a large industrial electrical contractor involved in a multimillion-dollar project for the construction of a calcium chloride plant in St. Gabriel, Louisiana;
- Counsel for a major Louisiana roofing contractor and its surety in claims alleging construction defects, culminating in a work out between the contractor, surety, insurers, and owner, avoiding further litigation;
- Counsel for the general contractor involved in a multimillion-dollar dispute with the United States Department of the Army over the construction of a tank range in Mississippi;
- Lead counsel for the general contractor in a dispute involving construction defect claims involving the construction of a large hotel in Baton Rouge;
- Lead counsel for an engineering firm involving the design and construction of a major highway interchange project for Interstate 10 in Baton Rouge.
Loyola University, J.D., 1998
Southern Methodist University, B.A., 1995
Louisiana State Bar Association
Professional Memberships and Associations
State Bar of Texas
Baton Rouge Bar Association
Dallas Bar Association
American Bar Association’s Forum on the Construction Industry
South Central Louisiana Chapter of the Construction Financial Managers Association, President
American Subcontractors Association - Greater Baton Rouge Chapter, Legal Counsel